Sunday 5 January 2014

Is my son an adult?

So last October my son was 18.

As far as he is concerned, he is now an adult...

Two days later he needed his NHS number as he had to have a wisdom tooth operation. I called the dentist to tell them the number and was informed that the one I gave them was no longer correct, and that I should call the GP to get his new number.

So I called the GP and was asked a whole load of questions to verify who I was and who my son was - only to be told that his NHS number was confidential and that he would have to call to ask for the number himself. I pointed out that he was at school and he would not be able to call them, but they would not give me such highly confidential info.

Sigh

So I texted him and he called them in his break.

OK, so as far as the NHS is concerned, my son is an adult.

Then he had to go for the wisdom tooth operation, so I told him to make sure his school knew he would have to leave early.

GUESS WHAT

I had to write a letter telling the school and asking them if it was OK for him to leave early.

A few weeks later he went on a school trip and I had to sign a form allowing him to go on the trip AND signing a medical consent form, in case he got sick.

HUH? The NHS won't need the consent, my son is an adult. If he was at work and had to go to the dentist, I wouldn't have to ask his employer if it was OK for him to leave early, he would.

So education and the NHS both have a different opinion about whether or not he is an adult. (Both parts of the state, notice)

Meanwhile, as far as I'm concerned, he is still my baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment